Sunday, December 8, 2013

Cheesy chicken and kale casserole

I'm attempting to find new ways to introduce vegetables in my diet because I'm told they are good for you. This was an experiment a few weeks ago and I quite enjoyed it but I'm searching for some zing to add to it when I make it again. Artichoke? I adapted it from Martha Stewart and found that halving the recipe definitely made more than enough.

Serves 4

2-3 cups of fusilli pasta (I am no good at measuring pasta, apologies)
1 tablespoon of butter
1/2 large yellow onion, minced
1 bunch of kale, washed and leaves chopped off the stems
2 cups of chicken, cooked and diced
1 500 g container of ricotta
2 tablespoons of lemon zest
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated/shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta according to directions. Make sure to rinse if using gluten free. I've found corn pasta to be the best lately, especially for leftovers. Drain and return to pot.

In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion softens, about 4 minutes. Add kale and cover, cook until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to pot with pasta (or pasta to skillet if using gluten free).

Stir in chicken, ricotta, lemon zest and 1/4 cup of parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a 9x9 baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of parmesan. Bake until the top is golden, 25-30 minutes.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment