Friday, November 8, 2013

Stick to your ribs chili

It's been a solid two years of trying to find a decent chili recipe that is equal parts awesome and filling. I've tried a few but this most recent one has been the most satisfying. I don't love large amounts of beans, and cumin is a must so this hits all the checkmarks.

Serves 6-8
Source Canadian Living

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 onions, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 lb of extra lean ground beef
3 Tbsp chili powder
1-1/4 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 can plum tomatoes (I use low sodium tomatoes)
1/2 bottle strained tomatoes (I can't find this to save my life in the grocery store so I add about 3 Tbsp of tomato paste)
1/2 cup water
1 can (19 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained

In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onions and garlic, stirring occasionally until golden, about 8-10 minutes.

Add beef; cook, breaking up with a spoon, until browned. Stir in chili powder, coriander, oregano, salt, pepper, and cayenne; cook for 1 minute.

I cut up my tomatoes in the can with scissors. Buying a can of whole tomatoes helps preserve more of the flavour than buying diced tomatoes. Add to pot, along with tomato paste, water and kidney beans. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.  Uncover and cook for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment